Monday, April 7, 2014

WebScaleSQL Installation solved... part 2

This is a follow up to the :  WebScaleSQL Installation attempted... part 1

So being a typical geek, developer, idiot or whatever.. I failed to RTFM or in this case the FAQ.

So once I paid attention and didn't just rush into it,  I installed WebScaleSQL correctly.
The biggest problem was that I was using the Linux OS (Oracle Linux VM) which is just too old and  the Oracle repositories did little to help get it upgraded. While I wanted to start with something that everyone could use easily, that just was not it.

I downloaded Fedora 20. You can see that they already use GCC 4.8.2. 
So the point is simple enough,  if you want to use new technology, update your OS as well.

If you really want to upgrade your GCC and stay on your current OS these hyperlinks might be useful:
Below are the steps I took to get it installed. Once the dependencies are in place it is a basic source install.

#cd /usr/local/
#yum -y install gcc git readline-devel  gcc-c++ bison-devel bison cmake ncurses-devel
# gcc -v
gcc version 4.8.2 20131212 (Red Hat 4.8.2-7) (GCC)

#git clone
#ln -s webscalesql-5.6 mysql
#groupadd mysql
#useradd -r -g mysql mysql
#cd mysql/
-- Successfully downloaded
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /usr/local/src/webscalesql-5.6

Scanning dependencies of target INFO_BIN
[  0%] Built target INFO_BIN
Scanning dependencies of target INFO_SRC
[  0%] Built target INFO_SRC
Scanning dependencies of target abi_check
[  0%] Built target abi_check
Scanning dependencies of target zlib
[  1%] Building C object zlib/CMakeFiles/zlib.dir/adler32.c.o
[100%] Building CXX object mysql-test/lib/My/SafeProcess/CMakeFiles/my_safe_process.dir/
Linking CXX executable my_safe_process
[100%] Built target my_safe_process
#make install
#chmod +x scripts/mysql_install_db
#yum -y install perl-Data-Dumper-Names
#./scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
#chown -R mysql data
#./bin/mysqld_safe &
# ./bin/mysql

| 5.6.17    |

mysql> show variables like '%read_only%';
| Variable_name    | Value |
| innodb_read_only | OFF   |
| read_only        | OFF   |
| super_read_only  | OFF   |
| tx_read_only     | OFF   |

cd mysql-test ; perl 

OK now that we got it up and running... we can explore it...

No comments:

Post a Comment